Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Festival of Light



Festival of Light
    by Melissa Campbell

The oil runs clear through the presses
to fill the jars that fuel the lamps all shimmering, "Holy!",
from blossoms on branches of the Almond Tree.

Ripe flows the fruit of ancient Roots,
born virgin in a grove on a mount by the sea;
the oil runs clear through the presses.

Bright miracle shines for the Maccabees,
eight days illuminating Judah's praise,
from blossoms on branches of the Almond Tree.

I see two trees dripping in the Holy Place,
two servants serving the Lord night and day and
the oil runs clear through the presses.

Seven torches flame 'round the throne--
God-eyes searching, plowing the ground--
from blossoms on branches of the Almond Tree.

Not by might nor power, but Holy Breath--
Ruach Ha-Kodesh-- He rushes to rest here in me where
the oil runs clear through the presses
from blossoms on branches of the Almond Tree.
 
Then the angel who talked with me returned and woke me up, like someone awakened from sleep. He asked me, “What do you see?”

I answered, “I see a solid gold lampstand with a bowl at the top and seven lamps on it, with seven channels to the lamps. Also there are two olive trees by it, one on the right of the bowl and the other on its left.”

~ Zechariah 11:1-2 (NIV )

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2010 by Biblica


Lighting a candle in words...I re-wrote this Festival of Lights poem (click for original versionto celebrate the Coming of our Lord, Jesus, not as a babe, but as the Light of the World who becomes flesh in all who will receive Him. 

Originally, I was inspired by L.L. Barkat to write a villanelleAlmond Tree was the fruit of my efforts.  I am glad I took her up on the challenge.  To learn about this rhyme-scheme, you can visit Seedlings in Stone.


Photo Courtesy:  flickr - J. M. Rosenfeld.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and appreciate your kind words and comments.